Monday, March 10, 2008

Week 5

What a week! I think this was the most tiring week of my life, at least mentally. The bags under my eyes are proof of the little sleep I got last week. I honestly wasn't sure if I was going to make it, but my coffee cup says it all!


It started off with a test in Clinical Skills on Monday, which I am VERY proud to say I got 100% on. As exciting as that score is, it's even more impressive when there are people in the class who didn't even pass the test...boo-yah! Our presentations on Tuesday for Seminar ended up being postponed to "sometime before the end of the term"...nice to know the director does have a heart after all! Wednesday I turned in my take-home midterm for Professional Relationships. Thursday marked another gruesome Anatomy quiz, which I hope I did well on. Friday was the ever-important Anatomy practical, which I thought I did decent on, but then as people started talking about it, I'm less sure of my success on it. I guess I'll find out this Friday. Friday I also got my physical done and my tetanus, diptheria, and pertussis (TDAP) shot. I am almost able to move my arm again. They also attempted to draw my 3 vials of blood for my titers, but the nurse claimed I was too dehydrated b/c no blood came out. More like she missed the vein. So I pumped fluids all weekend and today, I went back to get it done again, waited an hour and a half (gotta love college health centers), only to be told that my veins are "too small". So now they're sending me to some outside lab to get it done, so that'll be my fun Wednesday morning. Yippee! As much as I hate needles, I just keep reminding myself that I am lucky enough to be allowed to go to San Luis Obispo for my two-week clinical in August, and that I have to do this in order to go. Hopefully the motivation doesn't wear off!

On a lighter note, the Target Super Center opened right by our apartment, which is oh-so-dangerous. The red bullseye shines bright like a beacon on the hill! :) When we were driving home late Tuesday night, smelling lovely from Anatomy lab, I noticed a giant balloon arch outside the doors and tons of cars. So we turned around and went to see what was going on. Turns out they had a sneak-peek opening that night and there was cake and veggie/fruit/cheese platters at every corner of the store. They were also giving out Archer Farms samples and they had balloon animals and storytime for the kids. The Target dog was there too to take pictures with, but alas, I didn't have my camera. I must say, it was so exciting going in there with EVERY shelf fully stocked, everything smelling brand new, the carpet still squishy, shiny new carts complete with Starbucks cup holders, and a team member ready to help at every aisle. It was like an early Christmas! We also went back on Sunday for the official opening, but there wasn't anything special going on. The Wendy's also opened and we got celebratory Frosty's (which are no longer 99 cents), and today we found out that El Pollo Loco is going in that shopping center too. And on our way to Kohl's Easter sale yesterday, there was this lovely building that was so kind to put my name up in lights. So thoughtful!


I can't believe it's March already. Bigger yet, I can't believe that I'm already over half-way through the first term! I knew this would go by fast, but it's kind of scary. I'm excited for Easter and spring, and I've been spoiling myself with some flowers for in my bathroom, especially while my favorite flowers, tulips, are available. So here's a picture of my pretty flowers that make me smile every time I see them. The color in the picture doesn't do them justice...they're a beautiful shade of deep, rich magenta. Love them!

2 comments:

LRoland said...

Kenzi, I really love your blog. It makes me feel much more connected to your life and what you're up to. Great job on the 100 percent and for all the hard work you're putting in. I, too, am a "hard stick" when it comes to getting blood drawn. One time they had to use a vein on the back of my hand, and that worked pretty well. Love you! Lori

G AND P said...

Good work,Kenzi!! It all sounds horribly hard - but you're giving it your best and winning! We're proud of you!...but you know that....! Glad you, Jeff and your flatmate can join us for our Easter/Tori birthday celebration., Perhaps we can hide Tori's gifts in the grass like Easter eggs...any thoughts on that? As for random thoughts on putting a new Target that close to ANYONE..you may be able to handle having the shiney new store there, but watch out for that easy to get and cart around Starbucks coffee!. Love you.......G AND P