Monday, January 16, 2012

McMansion Shopping...

This weekend, between my being at a continuing education course all weekend and Jeff working all weekend, we did some shopping. Appliance shopping. Shopping that involved research, decision-making, price-comparing, and compromising. And this is what we got...

A new fridge.



This was something I was not willing to compromise (much) on. I have wanted a french door fridge for quite some time. After absolutely hating every side-by-side I've ever used, and tired of the usual single door style. And it needed to be stainless. For Jeff, it needed to have the water and ice-maker in the door.

A new washer and dryer.

(Not sure why the washer looks so skinny...it is not that skinny in real life. In fact, I thought it was HUGE inside!)



We had gone looking at a local dent and ding center to try and save money. Unfortunately, they recently decided to close and you had to take it at that time. So that wasn't going to work.

This was a hard decision for me. Jeff didn't care as long as I was happy. To be honest, he doesn't really care what his clothes look like. I love the look of the front-loading washers and dryers, and I know they are more water efficient. But the run time is almost double that of a top-loader, which means it uses more electricity. Although the new top-loaders don't have the agitator so they are more efficient and gentler than the older models. And I am constantly finding things last minute to add in, which you cannot do with front-loaders. But front-loaders are gentler on clothes. And quieter. And prettier. But I would need the stands to put it on, so I'm not constantly having to bend over. Which adds $200 per unit. Ouch. And my mom had talked about her friend's front-loader leaking and ending up with a giant flood in her laundry room. No thanks. So the decision was made. I hope we like it.

These will be delivered to the new house in February. I can't wait to have them. I've never had brand-new appliances.

We also bought our bedding...sheets, pillow cases, a mattress pad, a bed skirt, and picked out a duvet (they were out of stock).

And then we decided, since we were already dropping loads of money, why not spend a little more?! So we bought a new TV for the bedroom. And it's pretty. Pretty big. We looked at smaller ones, but I decided they were way too small and I wouldn't be able to see the screen while lying in bed without my glasses on. So bigger it was. Like 42 inches big. And my husband is one happy man.

Exciting things are in store in that new house. And I can't wait to enjoy them all! Yay for new, expensive shiny things!

1 comment:

The Wharton Gang said...

I am loving the fridge you chose! Very pretty, and sparkly too! After owning two front loaders since marriage (both of which we sold with each house) and living with one now, I want a newer top loader. Even though the front loaders claim to have a larger capacity I have yet to wash a large load like I did at our apartment in Simi or back at home with my parents. I think that was a smart choice if you ask me. In the end, as long as it washes your clothes and gets them clean , without destroying them that's all that matters. Can't wait to see the new place!