Monday, October 19, 2009

The SLO life, and much more...

I am officially moved up to SLO and am living the grand SLO life. I moved up 2 weeks ago (sorry for the delay), and had a few days to run errands, unpack, and get used to living in the area again. I had forgotten about the onramp/offramp situation, which for any of you who have visited up here know what I'm talking about. It didn't take me long to get used to it again though.

The first weekend up here we went to Oktoberfest at the Old Vienna Restaurant in Pismo. I recognized a lot of songs from all the Oktoberfests I attended as a kid. They had this awesome polka band of 3 older guys called Trio Internationale that played traditional polkas, as well as covers of such songs as "White Wedding", "Shout", "Lowrider", and "You've Gotta Fight For Your Right...To Polka!" You can check out their myspace page here. I've gotta say they kept the dance floor packed all night. They definitely were the highlight of the night.




Then I started up my 2nd 8-week rotation at San Luis Sports Therapy. My commute is now only 30 minutes, with guaranteed no traffic. Sweet! My schedule is less than ideal, working 10.5 hours on Mon/Wed/Fri and 5.5 hours on Tues/Thurs, but the half days sure are nice!. My CI used to work with professional athletes in the Chicago area, and definitely has a lot of things to teach me. I have homework almost every night, which I'm not a fan of, but I know it's only making me a more well-rounded therapist. I can tell I'm going to gain a lot from this rotation, and should soon have my own schedule of patients. 1 week down already!

This past weekend my mom came up to look at a couple wedding locations and attend the Central Coast Bridal Fair/Expo. We visited two sites: Santa Margarita Ranch and Spanish Oaks Ranch, both in Santa Margarita. I had high hopes and good feelings about these two, so my fingers were definitely crossed on our way out to see them. I've been in contact with these two locations for quite some time now. Spanish Oaks ended up being a lot smaller than it appeared online (again, pictures are deceiving), and wasn't quite what we wanted despite being beautiful.

Santa Margarita Ranch (SMR) on the other hand was amazing! I really can't describe this place in its entirety, because you really just have to see it yourself. The ranch was a resting place between missions way back in the day, as well as a stop for the Wells Fargo Stagecoach. The barn (which can fit up to 300 guests) has the original stone walls inside, and has been built up/around it. There's an old movie theater sign, windmill, wishing well, oh yes...and a railroad...with old train cars from Disneyland! There's a gorgeous garden area to have the ceremony in, with a giant oak tree. SMR is actually a working cattle ranch and vineyard too. I really didn't think Jeff was going to like it because I'll admit, it's pretty darn country. But he actually said he liked it! Woohoo! The layout, history, and natural beauty of it all is sure going to be hard to beat, and to be honest, I'm not sure I really want to look at any other places. Now we just have to figure out if we can afford it. Ah, the life of budgets! My mom took pictures, but an old friend from dance, who now happens to be a photographer in the area (that we ran into at the bridal fair), recently shot a wedding there, which you can see the photos here: Chloe : Mike Larson Photography, Inc: Home on the Range: Andrew & Sara to give you a better idea of what it's like.

At the bridal fair/expo there were over 120 local vendors including DJ's, coordinators, locations, bakeries, caterers, photographers, florists, etc. A little overwhelming, but very nice to have it all in one spot. I found a DJ that I like a lot (in fact, after 2 other ones I stopped talking to the other DJ's because none of them seemed to compare...plus other photographers and caterers raved about him. SOLD!), a bakery with amazing cake (yes, there were some with not-so-amazing cake, which I think is a crime), and a florist who stood out from the rest. As far as caterers and photographers, well I'm just not going to worry about that yet. Too many options that I'll slowly have to filter through.

We also went to the pumpkin patch at the Avila Valley Barn, which is full of tractor rides, animals, home-made ice cream and pies, a hay maze, and produce (most of which you can pick yourself during the year). Jeff and I both said how much fun it would be to take Grady here. All the kids (big or small) love it! It was way too crowded when we went on Saturday, so we went back on Sunday morning when there were much fewer people. It's a popular place this time of year!


Alright, I should probably wrap this up. Lots to talk about. This should teach me not to wait so long to post next time. And the reason this is being written in the middle of the day is because I'm home from work with a cold. It's been a battle against a sore throat, stuffy/runny nose, and cough and I didn't really want to get the patients and co-workers sick. I'll go in tomorrow no matter what, but this morning when I still couldn't breathe and felt like my head was in a fog, I decided it was best that I stay home. Back to resting up, studying, and doing laundry...

4 comments:

Mom said...

I love the SLO life! Thanks again for the great weekend! Hope you're feeling better soon. m

Melissa said...

Those pictures are beautiful at the place you guys like! It sounds like a great place. Oh, and Grady (and I) would like to come to the pumpkin patch next time!

The Wharton Gang said...

It sounds like life is great and things are moving along. I love the potential location! Old Disneyland train cars??!! Disney and country, it doesn't get any better! It sounds like you are loving life in SLO. Miss you but glad you are enjoying things.

Tori said...

so excited for the wedding!!