Tuesday, June 2, 2009

June already?!

Sorry I haven't updated this in a while. I guess time has just been slipping away amidst the sea of papers and clinic days. The weekend up in Kernville was fun. We went whitewater rafting and quad riding. Jeff and I also accidentally tipped a 2-seater quad over while making a 3-point turn on what looked like a level surface. Apparently it was still on an incline, but fortunately since we weren't exactly moving quickly, we are both fine! And that, my friends, is why you wear all the claustrophobia-inducing (in my opinion) protective gear! The boys also went to the shooting range, and we saw Night at the Museum. The weather wasn't too hot either, which was nice. A relatively relaxing weekend, and a nice getaway. Thanks Mike and Becky for the ride!

This past week seemed to take forever to get through, even though it was technically only 3 days of actual class. Tuesday I went out to a peds clinic and helped during a treatment session. I'm figuring out more and more that I don't really think that peds is what I'm going to end up in. Yes, I know my insanely huge love for children would make you think otherwise, but there is a lot more work and energy that goes into moving some of these kids. I'm just thinking about my poor back and body and trying to keep myself income-producing for as long as possible. We'll see...you never know where life may take me. But as of right now, I'm sticking with ortho. More guest lecturers (read: more dressing up), and on Friday we had a really awesome patient day. We had some patients with prostheses come in and we split up into small groups and rotated through them, asking them questions, assessing their mobility, and checking out their awesome equipment. Some of their stories were pretty amazing. One of the patients was a Paralympic athlete who even ran outside for us. She is also an actress/singer and has been on My Name is Earl. You can check out her website here. You should check out the video under the running section on her website...she's a world record holder, which is pretty amazing! I found her, as well as all the other patients who came in, to be incredibly amazing and inspirational.

This weekend was spent studying. Yesterday we had a midterm in Pharmacology, which who knows how it went. I really am not a fan of that class. I understand its importance, but I don't like it. We have our final practical for Gen Med on Thursday and a few minor quizzes and papers due. I'll also go out to another peds clinic on Friday. Other than that, it's just gearing up for taking 4 finals in 2 days next week. YIKES! Peds and Pharm are on Monday and Gen Med and Prosthetics/Orthotics is on Tuesday.

Hope all is well. I can't believe it's June already! I'm not sure where May went. Sorry if I disappear for a little bit. I can't guarantee what kind of time I'll have to update this during this week. If you need me, come find me buried under all my books!

No comments: