Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Wanted: Large (Secluded) Estate...

I survived finals...HOORAY! It was rough, and I know I could have done better on all of them, but with the time constraints we were put under for studying, I did what I could. After a good night's rest I was off to SLO, along with 8 binders full of notes and my comps study book. (Look back a couple posts for a reminder on that one.) I don't think I got the best gas mileage in the world with all that added weight, but it was a necessary evil.

I studied while Jeff was at work on Thursday and Friday. Thursday I also went out to Arroyo Grande to check out a wedding location (The Cypress Ridge Pavilion) I had found online that looked promising. I'm not going to say that this place is completely off the list, but I'm quickly learning that what you see online is not necessarily what you get. It was as beautiful in person as it was online, only smaller and a lot closer to houses than I thought. See...


It's not being completely scratched off because of this, I would just have to make sure that none of the pictures would have these multi-million dollar homes in the background. But, it's in our price range (something that is not easy to come by) and near the beach, which would make it a lot cooler in July than a lot of other places. Anyway, we'll see on this one.

Friday my best friend Ashley drove down from the Bay area. We lived together in the dorms and during our sophomore year at Cal Poly. Then she studied abroad our junior year and lived in the sorority house our senior year. We call ourselves "sisters separated in the womb" because since the first minute of knowing each other, we had an instant and inseparable connection. We haven't been able to see each other since we graduated 2 years ago, so this was a long overdue visit.

On Saturday she went out with me and Jeff to check out another wedding location (Fleur de Lis Estate) in Atascadero. Another possibility that's not completely off the list, but has some faults. 1) the next door neighbor is pretty close and had has a fairly run-down house with some run-down cars to decorate the yard. Some may call it art, but I don't think it's what I had in mind for the theme and feel of my wedding. 2) the train runs close by and honked it's lovely horn several times during our tour. Jeff and Ashley had to point this out to me because I never even heard it. Maybe living right next to the tracks has made me immune to it. We could have the train whistle instead of church bells...maybe not. The cool thing was you could rent out the place for the entire weekend if you wanted. Oh yea, and it had a barn! Again, we'll see.

Sunday I convinced Jeff to drive us out to Arroyo Grande so they could check out Cypress Ridge while Fleur de Lis was still fresh in their minds. We also drove up See Canyon to look for apple orchards and grand estates to rent out. No such luck. So we decided to have lunch in downtown SLO and Ashley and I hit up one of our most favorite places...Cowboy Cookies! I can remember going there as a kid with my parents and eating warm melting cookies by the mission. Yum! Potential favor idea???


Well, Ashley and I were very content with this stop! Sadly, Ashley had to go. But we found out that we're both going to be up there in 2 weeks. Go figure! 2 years without seeing each other and then we get to see each other twice in the span of 2 weeks.

Monday I had to pack my things up and head back down here to school. Now it's back to studying for comps and trying to not think about wedding stuff. Easier said than done. Sorry for all the wedding talk. Just thought I would update on all that for those of you are interested so I don't have to repeat myself a million times. The quest for the perfect location is still on, and if you know of anyone with a huge estate that wouldn't mind renting it out to a poor grad student for her wedding, send them my way! :) Hope everyone's enjoying summer. Maybe this June Gloom will go away soon...

No comments: