Monday, April 21, 2008

big update

Sorry, I guess a lot happened this past week without my even knowing it! This first week back was killer. I think I got a little too comfortable being on break. I'm really struggling to get back into the fast pace, and the easing into grad school is definitely over. The professors are starting off with a bang, and there's no looking back! My classes are as follows:

-Clinical Skills IB (which is a continuation of the clinical skills class I had last term, but now we're working on the back, lower body, and gait)
-Clinical Skills II (we're learning all the modalities--ultrasound, electrical stimulation, etc--that we'll use throughout our career)
-Anatomy II (continuation of last term's anatomy, but now focusing on the lower half of the body and the organs)
-Research (starting our thesis)

They made us switch which cadavers that we're working on in Anatomy lab. Yep, no more Harley. You're probably thinking that we'd be happy about this, since Harley wasn't the greatest example for structures. Normally, yes...but we got switched to the 2nd worst body...BUBBA! This dude is HUGE!!! He easily weighs 250 pounds, if not closer to 300, which when it is quite literally dead weight, is a lot heavier than you might think. Not to mention everywhere you look is more fat to cut through. Ok, I'll stop before I get too detailed. Basically, we traded down, and we're not happy about it. I've already gotten sprayed all over my face with his juices (darn lungs) as he seems to be extra juicy for us. Yay.

We pick our research projects this week, and Marilee and I are aiming for doing research for infomercials for Proctor and Gamble...I'll keep you posted.

My grades from last term finally posted and I passed everything...HOORAY! Grades were as follows:
Clinical Skills IA: B+
Anatomy I: B
Seminar: A
Professional Relationships: A

For a GPA of 3.40. Not too shabby for my first term of grad school!

This past Friday they gave us the day off from class so we could all go to the BodyWorlds exhibit at the CA Science Center (at USC by the Coliseum). It was pretty cool, and the dissections were very impressive and inspiring. For those of you who don't know what it is, BodyWorlds is the plastinated cadavers that are dissected out and placed in different positions. Very neat if you're into that kind of thing...they don't even look real! Afterwards, I was showing Marilee around the Coliseum and we stumbled upon the American Gladiators set. They had just finished filming the new season that starts in May at the LA Sports Arena which is right next to the Coliseum. Being the huge fan that I am of AG, I was freaking out. We wanted to swipe some stuff, but it might look a little suspicious driving down the freeway with a giant piece of blue foam padding with white stars all over it. Oh well...it was still cool.

Yesterday was the spring time b-day celebration with Jeff's family, and they were nice enough to include me in the celebration. As always, good food and good company, even if I show up a day early! :) Thanks for the gifts Brocketts, Mitas', Fillipps, Stephens', and Dakes! Anyway, sorry this is so long. I should probably get back to studying. We have a quiz tomorrow and Thursday. The fun never stops!!!

No comments: